Eczema or dermatitis is one of the most common skin diseases affecting many of adults or children. It appears most typically on arms, legs, knees and elbows, cheeks and forehead. The symptoms are redness, swelling. It is often itchy, flaking and sometimes bleeding. Eczema can dry or wet. It is believed that it is due to an overreaction of our body to certain allergens.
Each treatment depends of the patient. Following a routine (not too much bath, checking allergy, hydrating the skin etc…) will help relieving the symptoms.
With aromatherapy, we can alleviate the itchiness and help the skin to heal. On top of essential oils, hydrosols in spray (Lavender hydrosol, German chamomile hydrosol or Immortelle hydrosol) are very interesting, especially for babies as it is completely safe. Moreover, the choice of the carrier oil is extremely important. This is what can really help the skin to heal properly and prevent from dryness and infectious. Always check any possible allergy of the ingredients.
Coconut Oil hydrates, nourishes, softens the skin. Is also has anti-inflammatory properties. Shea Butter is rich in vitamin A and works as an excellent moisturizer that nourishes and heals the skin. For dry eczema, Aloe Vera Gel can temporarily relieve symptoms by cooling and moisturizing the skin.
TWO INTERESTING ESSENTIAL OILS TO USE WITH ECZEMA: (always with a carrier oil or gel )
· Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia): it has healing, immune stimulant, antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, calming, soothing, and anti-inflammatory properties. It speeds up healing and prevents or reduces scarring of the skin. It is one of the best oils to treat skin issues.
· Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens): it has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-infectious, wound healing, cellular regenerative properties.
EXAMPLE OF CREAM RECIPE:
Shea Butter Eczema Cream with 5% essential oil
• 20 ml Shea butter (or coconut oil or calendula cream)
• Geranium essential oil, 7 drops
• Atlas Cedarwood essential oil, 7 drops
• Lavender essential oil 6 drops
Apply two or three times daily locally until healing.